To achieve the twin objectives of self-reliance and development of backward areas, Tata Steel in collaboration with Didier-Werke of Germany setup a refractory manufacturing unit at Belpahar in the western part of Odisha way back in 1958. The glorious story of a single-product single - location Belpahar Refractories Limited to the present day all - products and multi-location TRL Krosaki Refractories Limited can be cascaded down in the following milestones.
1958: Promoted jointly by Tata Steel and Didier-Werke of Germany in Belpahar, a small and remote village in Jharsuguda District in the western part of Odisha.
1959: Production of Basic Refractories and in subsequent years Silica and High Alumina Refractories were manufactured from Belpahar Plant.
1971: Research and Development Laboratory was established at Belpahar with modern testing and R&D equipment.
1986: Tata Steel acquires the shares of Didier-Werke and the company was re - christened as "Tata Refractories Limited".
1993: Established leading market position in the Indian Refractories Market.
1994: Commissioned 30,000 MTPA Dolomite Plant (Plant capacity enhanced to 80,000 MTPA in 2006) and becomes the only Dolomite Refractories Manufacturer in India.
1999: Received ISO 9002 certification for the entire plant.
2003: Beginning of a massive modernization project under Fortune 500 Programme.
2006: Received Integrated Management System certification for the entire plant and other offices.
2006: 60,000 MTPA Gujarat Operation Started for production of High Alumina Bricks and Monolithics.
2007: Established most modern Refractories plant at China for Basic Refractories.
2008: Celebration of Golden Jubilee.
2009: Operations at Jhansi starts.
2011: Krosaki Harima Corporation acquires 51% shares from Tata Steel and the company is re-christened as "TRL Krosaki Refractories Limited".
2012: Commissioned 18000 MTPA Taphole Clay Plant in Belpahar.